New View

New View

Saturday, January 17, 2015

(Temporarily) Thwarted



Well, I tried to go to my first AA meeting (as a participant, anyway) today.  It is an unexpected Date Night tonight (my mother-in-law asked if she could take our son to her house for a movie/overnight/pancake breakfast event.)  This will be my first sober date night, other than when I was pregnant, in possibly my entire marriage. For the last eight years' worth of Date Nights, I wasn't necessarily raging drunk, but certainly we'd have drinks somewhere early on and definitely upon arriving home.

So I found myself thrown a bit.  I've been really nervous all day. I feel very tempted to drink and we haven't even started yet.  I won't drink, but I was hoping to catch a meeting, talk to some sober people...I knew it was time to make an attempt to get some outside support.

So I looked up meetings online and found one in a nearby hospital. I grabbed my son, his Kindle and headphones (so he could watch a movie during the meeting) and off we went.  Unfortunately, no one in the hospital knew anything about a meeting or where it might be held. The lady at the information desk said that the hospital used to host them, but that was a while ago and as far as she knew, they were no longer held there.  She sent me to where they used to be held...the room was dark and no one was around.

So.  Boo. I dropped off the boy on the way home, and hopped onto my laptop. Found a different website with more meetings...but none available today when I could get there.  Will simply try again later.

One good thing: my husband finished up his yard work late, so we basically have just enough time to catch a movie. No worries about going out to dinner/drinking then.  I am confident that I can come home and do my usual tea routine.

I got the book "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs out of the library and it is AWESOME. It is a big reason why I actively sought a meeting finally today.  Part of me would love to just stay home with a big pot of chai and finish the book...but I can wait for a kid-free morning tomorrow.  It will be good waking up clear-headed and feeling great, and snuggling in for a good read.

Sober life is really GOOD!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment