New View

New View

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Starting a New Year with a New View

Welcoming in 2020

It's been such a long time since I've updated this blog.  I had a silent self-celebration on Dec 3rd,  as it was an anniversary, I stopped drinking five years ago!  It remains one of the best decisions of my life.  Just about every day something reminds me to be grateful for being sober.  I can't even count the number of beautiful and amazing things that have happened, or that I've been able to do, since I put alcohol aside and made room for so much more in life!

Half a decade later, and as I approach half a century overall of life,  I want to make some additional changes to further enjoy the opportunities and riches of life while also building strength to face life's challenges.   I am returning to the blog to create and document my plan, and to document the journey. This will also be a tool for my own self-accountability.

Broadly, my goal is to increase health for me personally and also for my family.   I am focused on physical health, spiritual health, and financial health. 

Physical Health: I need to lose a lot of weight- about 40 pounds.  In the past I've successfully lost up to 25 lbs using Weight Watchers and once again on low carb diets, but I have failed to keep them going.  As my husband and I have gotten busier at our jobs, we have stopped having regular home cooked meals with non-processed foods.  It's affecting me, my husband, and my son.  My son remains a healthy weight likely due to his sports and youth, but it's only a matter of time.   My job is also sedentary and I have not been exercising consistently. 

Part A:  Food
Goal:  Have at least 4 home cooked meals each week.
Goal:  Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables/fruits daily.  Limit fruits and focus primarily on veggies.
Plan to achieve goal:  Plan and prep meals on Sundays. Include:

  • Plant-based breakfasts and lunches during Sunday planning/prep.  
  • Ensure cut up carrot/celery/peppers/broccoli/cauliflower are available as nightly munchies.
  • Cook up soup and stocks to ensure plant/based soups are available for snacks, lunches, and dinner

Part B:  Movement
Goal: Increase movement per Fitbit from 8k to 9k steps/day by the end of Feb and up to 10k the remaining months of the year
Goal: Complete at least one 5k with my son
Plan to achieve goal:  Walk at least 20 minutes per day and complete a Couch to 5k program.

Spiritual Health:  I've grown a lot in spiritual health over the last few years.  I was able to circle the square in regards to Christianity in my head and decided to go with the main messages.   I guess as part of Adulting, I've realized that having 100% agreement with anyone or any philosophy is a rare occurrence in real life.  I believe Jesus walked the earth and I believe primarily in his message, that works for me.  I grew up Catholic and haven't really read much of the Bible.  I'd like to change that and I'd also like to learn how to meditate.

Goal:  Increase knowledge and practice of spiritual texts and methods to generate feelings of peace and centeredness.
Plan to achieve goal:  Read at least one spiritual chapter or text weekly
Plan to achieve goal:  Meditate at least once weekly


Financial Health: This is a simple one (not easy, maybe not achievable, but the method is simple).  I want to increase  my retirement contributions.  My husband takes off 6 consecutive weeks each year unpaid;  this is required per his contract.   We live on my salary clearly when he is not working.  However, in 2020, our goal is to save my salary until we have a year's amount (bare bones) in cash.  This will likely take the full year.  We were able to save up 12 mortgage payments over the last two years;  we'll have to double that to get to a full year's savings.  Also, my take home will decrease since I'm increasing what is going into my retirement account. Glamorous, right?

Goal:   Increase retirement to maximum allowed in 401k and increase savings to full year in savings account.
Plan to achieve goal:  Automate paycheck settings to max 401k.   Update paycheck/workplace settings once Husband has completed his 6 weeks off (around early Feb) to deposit check into savings instead of checking. 
Plan to achieve goal:  Review spending/savings/ budget at least weekly to ensure we are staying on track.  Modify as needed.

Finances will start in Jan.  But physical and spiritual can start today.

It's Sunday so I am off to work out meal planning.  I'm off work tomorrow so will get meal prep done then.




No comments:

Post a Comment